Windows Server 2012 & 2012 R2: It’s time to upgrade
As technology continues to advance, software inevitably reaches its end of life. Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 are such examples. If your organisation is still using Windows Server 2012 then you should now consider upgrading to a newer operating system. This blog post examines reasons why it’s important to say farewell to Windows Server 2012 and the time to upgrade.
The End of an Era
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 will officially go End of Life (EOL) on 10 October 2023. This means that regular security updates, patches, and technical support for this operating system will no longer be provided. While it may be tempting to continue using Windows Server 2012 and avoid the associated costs, it’s important to consider the potential risks it could pose to your business. A major concern is that when an operating system is no longer receiving security support, it becomes vulnerable to cybercriminals who actively seek to exploit unaddressed vulnerabilities.
Cybercriminals never take a day off. That’s why it’s important to stay ahead of potential threats to your digital security. By upgrading to a new server operating system, you’ll gain access to the latest security features and enhancements. The new Windows Server 2022 is a good choice for those wanting to bolster their protection against cyber-attacks. It will give you added peace of mind when it comes to safeguarding sensitive data and maintaining the trust of your clients.
Compliance and Legal Requirements
Playing fast and loose with confidential information and data protection regulations is a recipe for disaster. To ensure your customers’ data is secure, and avoid penalties, you must upgrade to a supported server operating system. By doing so, your organisation can earn and maintain customer trust, establish a reputation as a responsible business, and stay ahead of the game. It’s essential to act now and prioritize this upgrade to protect your business and customers. Should a breach happen, when you inform the ICO that you haven’t upgraded it will not sit well with them.
A major disadvantage of using an end-of-life operating system like Windows Server 2012 is the lack of technical support when things go wrong. Without access to updates and bug fixes, any technical problems or weaknesses that emerge will remain unaddressed. Moving to the latest version of Windows Server enables you to benefit from Microsoft’s technical support services.
Improved Performance and Efficiency
Technology advances at a rapid pace. Newer server operating systems are designed to leverage the latest hardware capabilities. By upgrading to the latest version of Windows Server, your organisation will benefit from improved performance, efficiency, and scalability. These upgrades empower you to optimise your server infrastructure, streamline operations, and handle increased workloads with ease.
Together, Microsoft Azure and Windows Server 2022 can help businesses to be more agile. They provide the ability to easily move workloads between on-premises and Cloud environments. This can be helpful for organisations that need to scale up or down their IT infrastructure quickly. Organisations can use Azure to access Cloud-based services, which can help you create better products and stay ahead in the market. Azure empowers you to enhance their server capabilities, optimise disaster recovery plans, and attain greater adaptability, all while reducing infrastructure costs.
While the main reasons for upgrading to the latest server operating system are clear, there are some less obvious but equally important benefits that businesses can gain. These include:
- Compatibility with Modern Applications: A server upgrade will enable you to gain all the benefits from the latest software applications. You’ll get more out of industry-specific apps, tools for collaboration, and advanced analytics.
- Future-Proofing Your IT Infrastructure: Staying up to date with the latest technology is essential. Updating your server can help future-proof your IT infrastructure. The latest server operating systems are designed to seamlessly support new hardware and technology releases. This guarantees that your business can adjust to future technological advancements.
- Competitive Advantage: Upgrading your server can give your business an advantage in the market. By adopting the latest technologies and taking advantage of improved features and capabilities, you can show that you are innovative and forward-thinking. This can make a positive impression on clients, partners, and potential customers, setting you apart from other businesses that rely on outdated systems.
How we can help
We can help you make the transition from Windows Server as smooth, secure, and effortless as possible.
- Expertise: We possess the required expertise and experience to effectively upgrade your servers to Windows Server 2022. Our team is well-versed in the operating system and can assist you in avoiding any issues.
- Peace of mind: Switching operating systems can be a little daunting for smaller businesses. By working with an IT specialist like Bluegrass and Modern Networks, you can just focus on your business while we take care of your server upgrade.
- Cost-effectiveness: Outsourcing your server upgrade can be more economical than doing it in-house. With our expertise and economies of scale, we offer competitive pricing that is difficult to match when compared with the cost and hassle of hiring your own IT staff.
After 10 October 2023, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or patches for Windows Server 2012. This means that businesses running this operating system will be at increased risk of cyberattacks. Additionally, some industries are subject to regulations that require them to use up-to-date software. Running Windows Server 2012 after its end date could put your business at risk of non-compliance penalties.
In addition to security and compliance risks, businesses that continue to run Windows Server 2012 may also experience performance issues. Windows Server 2012 is no longer the latest version of Microsoft’s server operating system, and newer versions offer better performance. Finally, newer versions of Windows Server also offer new features and capabilities that can help businesses improve their IT infrastructure. For example, Windows Server 2022 includes features for Cloud computing, hybrid IT, and security.
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 is going end of life on 10 October 2023. Contact us now on 01392 796779 to ensure your servers are upgraded in good time and with minimum fuss.